Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Trier, Germany


Trier market square
Here's just a quick post on the trip I took to Germany's oldest city (2000th anniversary in 1984 apparently) with Don and Connie when Pete was at work and the kids were at school.

(I must admit I'm not blogging out of inspiration - I'm battling a monster cold immediately following my recovery from a sinister stomach virus, and thus cannot sleep.  The kids have already brought home some nasty germs from school - germs that their classmates gathered up on their holidays to various parts of the world and which are all now mixing and spreading through the magic of the school system.  As I've mentioned, the population here is nearly half immigrants and expats, and the vast majority travel home and elsewhere in August.  And since we are new arrivals with underdeveloped immunity to European bugs, and also gradually tapering off the adrenaline-boosted hyper-immunity of an international move, we are prime hosts for transmission.  Joy.)

Oh, I just had an idea.  I'll include a map!


As you can see above, Trier is Point B,  It takes about 40 minutes to drive from our place (and I think I could get a cheap bus or train in under an hour).  Point C is Burg Eltz from my last post, about 2 hours from home.)

And just to put it in perspective...
whenever I see how small Lux is, I always think, "Hey, Go YOU for even managing to stay your own country in the first place.  Hats off.)
We were only in Trier for a couple of hours before we had to get back, so we just looked at few things. 

Porta Nigra, or the Black Gate at the entrance to the city center, circa 2nd century Romans.
back side of gate

grabbing some fruit in the square
McD's
And moving on through the town...
Oldest cathedral in Germany (circa 300s), but obviously has been remodeled a bit since then
inside - bits of the original architecture is still intact.  We're guessing the floor is not one of them.
And here's inside the smaller church next door...
sitting in the pews
We continued to the Basilica of Constantine - used to be part of the Roman palace, now used by the Protestant church.

of course rebuilt a number of times, including after WWII bombing
No photos allowed but I didn't know until after!!  There was an actual service going on at the time as well.  I enjoyed the simplicity of the room.
There was more to explore but that was all we had time for this visit.   I'd like to go back later this fall to admire all the autumn colors along the Moselle River on the drive in.  I know, I'll take the bus!

No comments: